After lots of researching and searching for the perfect base recipe that's simple, quick and tasty, I found Jamie Oliver's pizza base recipe. I should say that I discovered this base from my friend Lullaby For Pies. I made a few small adjustments to make my pizza bases from the original Jamie Oliver version, but believe me it's still as tasty and simple!
- 300g of '0' or '00' type flour (may also be listed as pasta flour)
- 75g of semolina flour
- 300ml of lukewarm water
- 7g of dried yeast
- 1 tablespoon of oil
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- a good pinch of salt
1. Firstly you'll want a nice clean and floured worktop to make your dough.
2. Sieve the two types of flour onto the worktop, mix in the salt and make a little well in the centre.
3. In a jug, mix the water, yeast, sugar and oil.
4. Add this mixture into the well in the centre of the flour. It may be easier doing this, little by little so it doesn't start spilling everywhere.
5. Slowly start to add the flour from the sides into the water mixture.
6. When it starts to come together, you can get your hands in and start mixing the dough with your hands.
7. The dough should come to a nice consistency, soft, not to sticky but not flaking apart. If it's too dry/wet just add more water/ flour to get the dough to a good consistency.
8. Roll the dough into a ball and place in a bowl. Leave in a nice warm area with a damp teatowel on the top, just to let to the dough, grow and develop.
9. After half an hour or so the dough should be ready to use.
10. Divide the dough into portions ( this amount of dough makes two large pizzas) and rolls to your perfect size.
11. Add all the toppings you want and ENJOY!
For the toppings on my pizza, I was feeling Mexico inspired. I use a chipotle tomato base, by mixing tomato puree and chipotle powder. I then added some cheese and put lime & chilli cooked chicken, black beans, red bell pepper, red onion, red jalapenos and sweetcorn on the pizza. I added more cheese then baked in the oven for around 10 - 15 minutes. When the pizza was done I added diced avocado, diced yellow and red heritage tomatoes and parlsey to the top of the pizza. It tasted AMAZING!! Highly recommend these topping if you love Mexican type food!